Monday, October 15, 2007

One Plus One Equals One

So I'm reading this book that is quite beyond me and one of the highlights of a chapter reads something like, we trust things to have rules and consistency. We take things like 1+1=2 for granted. And then it proceeds to show that there are times when 1+1=1. The example I understood the best was if there are two drops of water and they merge (addition), you get one drop of water.
The image “http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:8b3jK78VWnf25M:http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/150545/2/istockphoto_150545_drops_of_rain_ii.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

So I've spent my morning meditation thinking about this. It's an almost uncomfortable idea.

There is also this part about negative space. You know those pictures that ask, Do you see a vase or two faces?
The image “http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/a/a4/200px-Rubin2.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
And I wonder, what would it be like to have programmed yourself to see the negative space first? And maybe there are people out there that do see it first. Could that view change how they see everything?

2 comments:

Moooooog35 said...

Interesting. I see one of those mechanical vaginas you buy at the adult toy stores.

I need to get out more.

Dehlia said...

Liked the saying goes "it's all in then eye of the beholder " .Is the glass half empty or half filled. How one see things definitely plays a role in how he reacts. Deep thoughts i"m getting a headache.
Blessed be Dehlia